Wednesday 3 December 2008

car blues

Note to self. Never, I repeat, never ever ignore those flashing lights on your car dashboard again.
Those ain't Christmas decorations, luv. They actually mean something. Most of the times it's something quite bad...
I should have seen it coming, last night she gave me the final warning. A bright red light which read STOP and the battery symbol..my acumen suggested it might be a problem with the battery but the car was working just fine so i decided i would deal with it on Friday afternoon. That's because It's way too cold to even consider the idea to go to work by bus. That would cost me at least 1 hour more to travel in the coldest hours of the day. No way. The car is just fine

This morning I looked out the window and noticed that the world outside was covered with snow. My mind was at ease though, after all the car is just fine.
I slipped over the icy road all the way to the car, scraped the ice off the windscreen and started the engine. Wow it really is fine. First the car gets stuck in the middle of the road while i was attempting a reverse manoeuvre. Thankfully the snow wasn't too thick so after a while I managed to drive off..
That red warning light was still on desperately demanding my attention.
I discarded the issue with a "if it is the battery then worst case scenario the car won't start again on my way back home. Oh well...
I drove up to the first junction and stopped at the red light. The car was shaking a little. I was in complete denial. I even blamed the poor weather condition and the snow (???)
As soon as I passed the second junction the car decided that enough was enough. It started shaking really badly. I saw the all dashboard leds flashing together shouting PULL IN YOU MORON in Morse code.
I felt the car loosing speed no matter how hard i pressed the accelerator. And I immediately understood that was it. i couldn't even turn the hazard lights on. The car died on me just like that.
As a punishment the AA made me wait 3 hours for the recovery service whilst the guys at the phone kept on telling me it would be there in 20 minutes. There was snow and ice all around me and my feet went numb.
Plus, the car is not fixed yet and I arrived at work two and a half hours late as a result ( and this thanks to my hubby, who came to the rescue and lent me his own car Image he went to work by bus instead*feeling so guilt ridden now*.

0 comments: