Wednesday 25 February 2009

we were there too!! BGI pictures of interest

Before seeing this gallery I used to think that the BGI story in Hokkaido was set in an imaginary location somewhere in the region . I mean, yes the white fanbook already show us that some locations actually exist in real life (like the picture of train station or the harbour) but I can't recall any of the character mentioning any particular town name in that region. Hence my idea of an imaginary settings with locations borrowed from real life towns just like sometimes happen when shooting a film ( or at least in the films shot in my hometown or nearby). It turns out that in this case the locations refer to a specific town in Hokkaido called Kushiro. I still don't know whether Yuuki Obata is from Kushiro herself ( wiki doesn't mention her ) but she must have lived there for a while or at least known the place quite well.
Well it looks quite obvious that these pictures were taken by a fellow BGI fan as they show the exacts places almost in the same perspective as they appear in the manga. I can't hide this had a bit of an impact on me since until a while ago these places were as real as the characters themselves *wonders if there is a photo of real life Yano and Nanami* XD
Anyway to give you an idea I decided to post a few pics of the real life locations as well as their manga counterpart. Just to clarify, these picture are not mine. The one I posted were found on google image and I merely attached the manga drawings to them. For the full gallery, please refer to sleepynicky who is the actual poster and creator of the pictures. All the credit goes to him/her. ^_^
So ladies and gentlemen here you are some interesting sightseeing from Kushiro. As you can see many of the pictures refer to chapter 11. On the top we have the volume cover and then on the right there are the locations described by Yano when he was imagining to journey to see Nana. ( here Yano was being extremely accurate with the directions ^_^)

Below we have another interesting location which refer to one of my favourite moments in the anime ( I still haven't found the English manga for this part of the story so I can only enjoy it in the anime version)
I am not sure that this is always Kushiro as the picture description only mentions Hokkaido. Nonetheless the authors must have thought of this park when they created the eternity scene ( as I call it)


I wonder what it is like sitting in that very bench and reading the story ...

5 comments:

"nana"♥ said...

you are so great! i love your blogs about bokura ga ita.. you know, i'm so obsessed with this anime or manga.. gosh..
your site is really help me alot.. thank you soo much..

Nicky said...

hello,

thanks for quoting my pictures I took during my summer vacation last year!I'm Nicky from that blog..

As far as I can tell, Yuuko Obata finished her high school in Kushiro city, and at least at some point after she made a big success with BGI, she moved back to Kushiro city.

Hokkaido doesn't have many cities that start with "K" and have ports. And place names had been hidden until some point of the story; later probably after she had moved to Kushiro, she started to mention local place names very often.

As for K high school... her alm mater is the same with mine; and my brother was in the same grade with hers. There were four "K" high schools in Kushiro back then. I'm pretty sure that that "K" high school is "Koryo" high school, with a few modification borrowed from another high school, or probably from a junior high school Yuuko went to. That junior high school is the model of Yano's junior high school era. (I belive that the school was Kyoei junior high school, which locates very close to Yano's home in Kushiro, according to the description in comic vol. 11)

anyway, thank you very much for refering to my pictures. as a sign of my thankfulness, I have started to add English translation of the captions/explanations. I'll let you know when I'm done.

best wishes,

Nicky, who was there in Kushiro that "we were there" was located.

Nicky said...

Hello again, I have added a brief English description to each pics. hope you enjoy them!

ema said...

Hello Nana,

Thank you so much for your comment. I ma pretty much obsessed with BGI too so I am glad to have found you too ^_^


Nicky,

I am the one thanking you for the beautiful pictures and the interesting explanation about Kushiro and the locations. Now that you mention it, it does make a lot of sense that Obata-sensei set the story in the very place where she finished high school. I wonder it must have been a nice surprise for you finding all those familiar places drawn in the manga. Also a big thank you for adding the english descrition to te pics. It helped an awful lot given the my knowledge of Japanese is still so little..

Anonymous said...

i love the last pic...i didn't know that place was real..lol
maybe if you sit there, you'll run into a yano look alike..^^