Saturday 4 April 2009

before Bokura ga ita there was...




I have always refrained myself from reading others Yuuki Obata's works or at least my plan was to read them after the conclusion of Bokura ga ita. The reason for it may sound really stupid but I was afraid that would have been "too much information" which in a way could have spoiled my expectation about the ending of BGI.
You may think, eeeeeh ?since when you've been worriying about spoilers? Do you even read your own blog? All the posts about BGI are full of spoilers??True, but these are different. The spoilers I write about concern about existing chapters of BGI. Thy somehow represent a fact, a reality which is already there within the plot whether you like it or not . Reading a different story which may gave you "hints" or ideas on how of author would handle the development of a plot is a total different matter. This is like gambling and gambling is a very dangerous game. You might end up really really disappointed at the end.
Do you reckon I am being too much paranoid about this? Yeah so do I, that's why the other day I decided to break the taboo and started reading Kimi no Kachi. And my, now that I'm done with it the only thing I can say is..why didn't I do it before.......
Kimi no Kachi is such a wonderful discovery, a collection of one shot stories which was really worth my time. No it doesn't even bother me that some of characters resemble so much to Yano and Nanami because the stories stand on their own regardless. Actually I found interesting to notice how some ideas which ended up in BGI were already present in this earlier stories. My favourites are the 1st You Win ( which is the translation of Kimi no Kachi), Constellation in July a lovely story about two childhood friends who fall in love with eachother and and My Beautiful Boy where a girl falls for a boy at first sight but ends up confessing to his twin brother ( unknowingly).
This episode is the most original character design-wise ( along with spring fever.. ah ah you can tell these stories were drawn in the late 90s look at the boys' haircut !!!) but it does contain a scene -----------> very familiar to us BGI fans *heart pounding moment* ). After this I can officially say that Yuuki Obata is one of my favourite mangaka ever ( please please Obata-sensei give us a magic BGI ending too!!!)

read Kimi no Kachi here

0 comments: